Edward-Ubosi Boxing Talent-Hunt: Potential talents overwhelm team

Education Latest Sports Trending

Jonas Ugwuanyi, Special Correspondent

The Edward Ubosi Boxing Talent-Hunt Initiative committee has assured boxing potential in Nsukka LGA that they will carry out more follow up visits to fish out more talents from the area.

The Speaker, Enugu State House of Assembly, Edward Ubosi is the main sponsor of the local Government tour of the technical committee on boxing sensitisation drive.

The coordinator of the initiative, Boxer Ikechukwu Okoronkwo, who was addressing the many potential talents from the area, explained that the current visit was just to sensitise them on inherent opportunities in boxing.

“I can assure you that there are many benefits to boxing apart from the ability for self-defence, you can earn a living, you can reach height unimaginable,’’ the former amateur world welterweight champion said

He added that the intention behind the programme was to sponsor selected students for national and international competitions.

“Some of you may go to represent the state at the national sports festival and some up to the Olympic Games, Tokyo 2020 and even some can also become professional boxers.

“The Speaker believes that the talents are here at the grassroots. You now have the opportunity here at your door steps to actualise this dream,’’ Okoronkwo said.

The technical team visited the Community Secondary Schools, Ede Oballa, Eden and Ibagwa-Ani, all in Nsukka Educational zone.

At the schools visited, the team met very excited students who came out in their numbers to participate in the brief training exercise.

Meanwhile, the Transitional Committee Chairman of Nsukka LGA, Prof. Rose Ona, has described sports generally and boxing in particular as an important avenue for developing positive character traits among the youth.

Prof. Ona said that if the project was well-managed, it would help to revitalise the students’ mental faculties and enhance their interest in other activities outside academics.

She praised the Speaker’s initiative in this direction and advised the Committee to sustain the programme as it was going to generate employment opportunities for the youths. ##