Russian warship: Moskva crew ‘shown for first time since sinking’

The Russian defence ministry has published images showing what it says is the crew of the warship Moskva – the first time any sailors from the ship have been seen since its sinking.

A large group of sailors is seen on parade in the Crimean port city of Sevastopol, met by Navy Commander-in-Chief Adm Nikolay Yevmenov.

The Moskva was the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet.

The ship’s demise has been described as a huge blow to Russian morale.

The ministry announced late on Thursday that the Moskva had sunk on stormy seas after a fire caused by exploding ammunition. Ukraine said it had sunk the ship with two Neptune missiles.

Moskva crew 'shown for first time since sinking'  | today nigeria newspapers headlines updates
Moskva crew ‘shown for first time since sinking’ | today nigeria newspapers headlines updates

Russia said at the time that the crew had been taken to Sevastopol, a major port Crimea, which Russia annexed from Ukraine in 2014. This, however, is the first time any evidence has been offered of the survival of any sailors.The video shows Adm Yevmenov and two other officers standing on a parade ground in front of about 100 sailors.

READ ALSO Russia Warns Czech Against Supplying Weapons To Ukraine or Face Consequencies

It is not clear when the meeting took place.In an interview shown at the end of the video, Adm Yevmenov says that the officers and crew are currently residing at their base in Sevastopol and will continue their service in the navy.

Russia has not reported any casualties from the fire or the sinking.

However, an unnamed US official quoted by Reuters said Washington believed there were casualties.

Ukraine says the ship’s captain, Anton Kuprin, was killed on board, but the BBC has been unable to verify the claim.

Do you want to invest in real estate but don’t know how visit Estate Alert today http://estatealert.net/

%d bloggers like this: